The health benefits of Calvados

Victor
By -
0
Many of the conversations I had with people before I left Brighton were about how wonderful French food was - and I have to say that I am not disappointed.

Food is a very important subject for those of us with IBD. We all react differently to our experiences of severe bowel symptoms - some of us can become scared of what we eat.

It is true that I run a mile at the sight of sweet corn, but I do generally love
my food and really enjoy cooking, so France is a great place to be.

The first thing about France is the abundance of high-quality food. In the UK, it seems to me that there is a choice between cheap and tasteless or tasty but expensive food.

Here, I can buy fresh produce - fruit, vegetables, bread, fish, seafood and meat - in daily markets, local small shops or in supermarkets.

The variety and quality on offer here means I have a lot more choice of things that are good for my gut, easy on the pocket and taste sensational.

Although my health has been patchy (my Crohn’s wasn’t exactly going to stay back in the UK was it?) I do think the diet here has been kinder on me.

I’d forgotten how tasty fresh seasonal vegetables can be. Soups are perfect for my gut and I’ve included a simple recipe below for you to try after you’ve been to the local farmers’ market.

The other benefit of living in France is how we eat. Lunch is not a sandwich gulped down at your desk - it is a two-hour institution.

Taking time over a meal, having several small courses, plenty to drink (an apéritif then water or wine) is perfect for the IBD bowel.

And so too, I’m beginning to think, is finishing the evening meal with a small digestif - Calvados (apple brandy) in this part of France.

I’m happy to keep trying it - for purely medicinal purposes of course!


Recipe: pumpkin soup

Ingredients - serves 4

1kg unpeeled pumpkin or squash

25g unsalted butter

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

1/2 tspn ground cinnamon

1 litre vegetable stock

100ml crème fraîche

salt & freshly ground black pepper


Method

1. Cut the pumpkin into wedges and scoop away all the fibres and seeds. Cut away the peel and cut the remaining flesh into small-ish chunks.

2. Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and cook over a gentle heat for about five minutes. Add the pumpkin flesh, garlic and cinnamon. Cook gently for another 5 minutes.

3. Add the stock, cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes.

4. Take off the heat and liquidise until smooth. Stir in the crème fraîche and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

5. Serve with fresh bread and, if you like, a handful of grated Gruyère cheese gently stirred into the soup.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)